Australia Totalisation Agreements


    Australia Totalisation Agreements: What You Need to Know

    If you are an Australian citizen living and working abroad or a foreign national working in Australia, the Australia Totalisation Agreements (ATA) is something that you need to know about. This agreement is a social security treaty between Australia and certain other countries that helps you to avoid double social security coverage and taxes, and ensures that you are covered under the social security program of just one country.

    What are Totalisation Agreements?

    Totalisation Agreements are bilateral agreements between countries that help to address the issue of dual social security coverage. Dual social security coverage occurs when a person works and pays social security tax in two countries simultaneously. This can lead to significant financial losses for employees and employers, which is why the ATA is so important.

    The Australia Totalisation Agreements

    The Australia Totalisation Agreements currently exist with 14 countries including Austria, Belgium, Canada, Chile, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Korea and the Netherlands. These agreements ensure that if you are a citizen of one of these countries and you work in Australia, you are covered by the social security scheme of Australia and vice versa. This approach ensures that you can avoid double taxation and enjoy the benefits provided by both countries` social security systems.

    In the event that you have worked and paid taxes in both Australia and your home country, you can claim social security benefits from both countries. The ATA also covers access to medical treatment, disability and sickness allowances, and survivor benefits. It is important to note that different countries have different rules and regulations regarding eligibility, amount, and duration of benefits, so it is advisable to seek advice from a specialist in international social security.

    How to Claim Benefits

    If you are an Australian resident who has worked in a country that has an ATA with Australia, or a resident of a country that has an ATA with Australia who has worked in Australia, you can claim benefits by contacting your local social security office. You will need to provide documentation such as proof of your work history and citizenship, as well as details of your contributions to both countries` social security schemes.


    The Australia Totalisation Agreements are beneficial for anyone working abroad or with foreign nationals working in Australia. They ensure that you are not liable for double social security coverage, and that you can access social security benefits from both your home country and Australia. If you are unsure about your eligibility or the benefits available to you, seek advice from a specialist in international social security.