It’s often said that fashion makes the world go round, and nowhere is this more evident than at Tokyo Fashion Week. For six days, the latest styles, trends and couture from around the world take center stage in Tokyo. As this annual event showcases the work of expert designers and fashion houses, join us as we explore the trend-setting runway collections from Tokyo Fashion Week.
1. Celebrating Japanese Style at Tokyo Fashion Week
Tokyo Fashion Week is the perfect opportunity to experience the artistry and innovation of traditional Japanese fashion. From the highest qulity fabrics to intricate details, Japanese street style exudes an effortless air of elegance and sophistication.
Designers such as Yohji Yamamoto, Rei Kawakubo and Issey Miyake have made a name for themselves in the fashion world by introducing us to their distinct and experimental aesthetics. By combining classic Eastern influences with modern Western sensibilities, their designs are thoroughly modern and timeless. From cutting-edge to androgynous looks, Tokyo fashion week grasps the essence of street style.
This season, fashionistas gathered in Tokyo to celebrate the city’s vibrant style. Attendees were impressed with the expressions of freedom and creativity that were present in the collections. Fans of Japanese fashion gathered to admire the works of some of the most prominent Japanese designers and watch as they created revolutionary looks.
Notable trends at Tokyo Fashion Week included:
- Gender-Bending Glam: Designer Shiatzy Chen showcased androgynous looks that perfectly blurred the lines between gender roles.
- Kawaii Cuteness: Cute and innocent looking elements were prominent in streetstyle, with colorful pastels, accessories, and floral prints being most popular.
- Layering: Tokyo fashion week featured layers of materials and textures that added a new level of intricacy to the designs.
Through Tokyo Fashion Week, traditional Japanese fashion was elevated and showcased for a global audience. Attendees enjoyed the unique atmosphere of the event and were inspired by the innovative garments, textiles, and accessories presented throughout.
2. Exploring the Latest Trends on the Runway
No one loves a fashion trend more than those who follow fashion week. Taking a look at the latest trends being seen on the runway is the perfect way to stay ahead of what will soon be hitting the market. Here are just a few ways you can stay in the know:
- Keeping up with designers and considering their vision
- Checking out the runway reports surrounding the latest clothing
- Checking blogs and fashion magazines for the latest news on clothing lines
Designers often get creative when it comes to their collections and looking at the trends can provide a helpful window into what is being popularized. It’s important to remember that not all trends appeal to everyone and it’s easy to incorporate a few in unexpected ways that feel effortless.
Prints tend to come and go each season, often making a big statement. From floral to animal prints, these items will add a bold amount of color to any wardrobe. Incorporating prints also make for great layering pieces, as the bright colors work to elevate any outfit while still allowing a mix of textures and clothing items.
The accessorizing of an outfit often turns something boring into something enviable. Accessories add both visual and literal weight to any outfit and they are one of the easiest ways to stay stylish. Whether it’s a statement necklace or a stack of funky bracelets, accessories deepen the look of any outfit instantly.
Whatever the trends are on the runway, there are always ways to stay ahead of the curve by staying informed and learning how to work the trends into your existing wardrobe. By knowing the trends and how to use them, you will be able to truly stay one step ahead.
3. Artistic Influences in Contemporary Tokyo Fashion
As the fashion capital of the world, Tokyo has been an influencing force in the apparel industry for decades. Its distinctive street style and innovative silhouettes have revolutionized the fashion industry and driven trends worldwide. In addition to the wide-reaching impact of ‘Tokyo fashion’, its creative masterminds have also been heavily influenced by a wide range of artistic elements. Here is a closer look at some of the key sources of inspiration where Tokyo fashion designers turn to express their creativity.
The graffitied walls, brick-laden alleys, and multi-colored roofs of Tokyo’s urban landscape have always been a visual feast. It is no surprise then that they often serve as a source of artistic inspiration for younger generations of fashion designers in Tokyo. Brightly-colored prints, glitzy metallics, and neon lights are seen all around the city -and often emulated in designs for cutting-edge apparel.
A true staple of Japan’s culture, anime has morphed from its cartoonish beginnings into a worldwide sensation. As it has evolved, so have its aesthetics, resulting in a vibrant range of creative sub-genres. As a style interpreter, anime has been a key inspiration for the Tokyo fashion scene, in both its bold, cartoonish patterns and cool, futuristic palette.
Tokyo’s ultra-unique boutiques have a style all of their own, and this ever-evolving trend is often seen in the city’s top fashion circles. Part of the Tokyo fashionista’s appeal lies in their eclectic mix of thrift-store finds, genderless ensembles, layered looks and quirky details. As a source of inspiration for fashion-forward Tokyoites, these fashion destinations certainly don’t disappoint.
Traditional Japanese Crafts
Traditional art forms such as kimonos, qipaos and sarafan dresses are touched upon frequently in the Tokyo fashion world. Japanese-style silhouettes, prints, and textures often drive the design of collections released around the city. From military-inspired silhouettes to elegant one-pieces, Tokyo’s traditional influences can be seen in many different forms.
Contemporary Tokyo fashion is heavily inspired by a mix of modern-day trends, traditional Japanese crafts, street art, and anime. By borrowing from a range of creatives sources, designers in Tokyo have managed to shape a distinct (and often imitated) style that continues to captivate audiences worldwide.
4. Taking a Closer Look at Tokyo’s Inventive Designs
For centuries, Tokyo has been the epicenter of technological innovation and creative design. Its style of modern architecture has inspired many a talented designer, and its latest inventions have become a source of fascination for travelers around the world. Let’s take a closer look at some of Tokyo’s inventive designs.
- The Spiral Building: One of Tokyo’s most iconic structures, the Spiral Building is a 176-meter tower that houses SkyJ league art galleries, shops and restaurants. Its exterior resembles the shape of a twisting spring, with several glass windows that reflect the sun’s light in an exquisite pattern.
- The Tokyo Tower: This iconic tower is actually the world’s tallest self-supporting steel tower and is one of Japan’s most popular tourist attractions. Standing at 333 meters tall, the Tokyo Tower is constructed with stunningly intricate mesh that stands out against the city skyline.
- The Tower of Tokyo Bay: According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the Tower of Tokyo Bay is the world’s tallest structure, measuring at an impressive 600 meters. This skyscraper was constructed to be an observation deck for visitors, offering unparalleled views of the city.
- The Meiji Jingu Shrine: This shrine stands as a reminder of the Meiji Emperor’s reign, and is one of the most visited religious sites in the world. The shrine stands on an impressive 4.3 hectares of sprawling parkland and is adorned with a stunningly intricate Shinto wooden arch that stands 8 meters tall.
From modern skyscrapers to traditional shrines, Tokyo is a city of inventions partnered with an awe-inspiring aesthetic. Each structure is designed with creativity and care, drawing tourists from all over the world to its majestic sights.
With its inventive designs, Tokyo continues to be one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world. As you take a stroll through its cities and towns, you’re witnessing centuries of innovative architecture and architectural designs.
As Tokyo Fashion Week draws to a close, so too does the spectacular showcase of some of the world’s most innovative and forward-thinking fashion trends. From designer haute couture to street-style mavericks, Tokyo has certainly set the trends for fashion around the world. With all that has been sampled, it is sure to be an exciting year when it comes to fashion. Until next time Tokyo Fashion Week, auf wiedersehen!